When it comes to supplements, Omega-3 often is considered among those with an array of benefits that far exceed its weight as a small softgel. This essential fatty acid, which is ideally consumed through Omega-3 rich foods like fatty fish (think salmon, mackerel, sardines, albacore tuna and herring), has been recommended by the American Heart Association as a way to reduce the risk of heart disease.
Here are 5 other benefits of Omega-3:
- In addition to reducing the risk of heart disease by lowering cholesterol and blood pressure, research shows that it can also lower the risk of other diseases like cancer and arthritis.
- Omega-3 fatty acids can improve brain function, therefore supporting enhanced memory and performance.
- According to the Arthritis Foundation, it has been shown to alleviate the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis by reducing inflammation in the joints.
- Mayo Clinic studies show that Omega-3 fatty acids can ease symptoms of depression.
- Regularly taking Omega-3 supplements, as MDV revealed, reduced the levels of homocysteine in patients with diabetes.
Ensure that you're getting adequate levels of Omega-3 fatty acids. As the American Heart Association recommends, you should be consuming, at least, two servings of fatty fish each week. Also, some people regularly take Omega-3 supplements as part of their daily routine. WonderLabs features a variety of Omega-3 supplements, including Omega-3 softgels of Marine Lipid Concentrate (Fish Oil). This supplement is gluten-free. Directions: Take two softgels three times a day as a convenient source of Omega-3 fatty acids.