When it comes to a nutritious, energy-packed snack, it's hard to do better than the almond. When you snack on a handful of raw almonds (just say, No, to the salted and honey-glazed varieties!), you aren't just
getting an energy boost; you're also fueling your body with much-needed vitamins and minerals.
All About Almonds
Did you know…
- Almonds have a fuzzy hull with a texture similar to that of a peach.
- The almond is actually the seed of a fruit – not a true nut.
- Almonds absolutely must have bees pollinate the trees in order to grow. (Bee rental is one of the greatest expenses for almond growers.)
- Almonds assist in slowing the body's absorption of sugars and carbohydrates.
- Almonds can be refrigerated for up to 24 months. (Vitamin E extends their shelf life.)
- 40% of the world's almonds are purchased by chocolate manufacturers.
So, what will you find inside an almond? Let's take a closer look at what's in a single serving of almonds (approximately one ounce, 1/4 cup, or 23 almonds)…
Almonds Have Calcium (75 mg)
Calcium allows blood to clot, muscles to work, and the heart to beat. Because the body cannot produce sufficient calcium on its own, it's important to integrate calcium into your daily diet.
Shop Now: Calcium Wafers
Almonds Have Vitamin E
As an antioxidant, vitamin E can protect cells from free radicals. Vitamin E gives the immune system a boost and may help lower risk for heart disease.
Shop Now: Natural Vitamin E 400 IU | d-alpha Tocopherol
Almonds Have Fiber (3.5 grams)
Fiber is excellent for helping regulate cholesterol and blood sugar. Almonds are a great way to supplement fiber in your diet.
Shop Now: Fiber Tablets | Oat Bran Water Soluble Fiber
Almonds Have Magnesium (76 mg)
Magnesium plays a critical role in maintaining heart, muscle, and nervous system function. It also helps with protein synthesis and carbohydrate metabolism. (Magnesium even makes protein, bone, and DNA!)
Shop Now: Mag64® Magnesium Chloride 64 mg | Compare to Slow-Mag
Almonds Have Potassium (200 mg)
Heart function, water balance, and muscle function all rely on potassium. While potassium levels are typically sufficient in adults who eat a healthy diet, potassium supplements may be helpful for protecting against kidney stones, osteoporosis, and other conditions.
Shop Now: Chelated Potassium Gluconate - 99 mg of Elemental Potassium
So, next time you're looking for a healthy snack… why not go for a handful of almonds?